High Protein Diet – The Way To Control Hunger

So you want to lose a few pounds but you don’t want to be hungry, uncomfortable or irritable while you are doing it. That is a tough call. Everyone knows that if you go on a diet to lose weight, you will have some hunger pains. After all, the idea is to eat less and make your body burn stored fat for energy. You eat less, you get hungry.

Well if you are really serious about dropping a few dress sizes, or getting into those comfortable jeans again, or scoring some admiring looks, take heart, there might just be a way to reach your weight loss goal without getting desperately hungry by following a high protein diet program. That is the point, isn’t it? To find a diet that will let you eat, not feel hungry and still lose weight. Well, studies have shown that people who are on a high protein diet feel fuller longer than those who only follow a calorie restrictive diet.

I have been researching diets for a very long time and I found an article in the Brisbane Times from last November that reported researchers had finally confirmed what fitness and weight loss gurus have been saying for a long time. You can lose weight by eating more protein. And, research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has hinted that protein may be able to satisfy hunger better than either fats or carbohydrates. So, it is finally out, eating more protein and fewer refined carbohydrates can help you lose weight and keep it off.

Think about that for a moment. Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition and the New England Journal of Medicine has determined that eating more protein could help you lose weight help you keep from feeling as hungry. And it appears that this notion is catching on because more and more people are learning how to lose weight and make lifestyle changes that keep it off by following a high protein diet.

What is it about protein that is so good? It is really simple because protein is the major component of all cells, including muscle and bone. We need it for growth, development, and immunity to fight off infections, repair the cells and protect the body. It is really a remarkable nutrient.

Researchers don’t understand how it turns the appetite off but it does and makes it easier to lose weight. If you eat a lot of protein, you will lose weight without exercising. But what is the point of that? You will drop some unwanted pounds, but will not tone up or firm up those underlying muscles that give you that second stare look.

High protein diets have been around for a very long time. If you have ever spent any time in a gym or other exercise programs, or played sports, odds are good that you have heard of someone going on a high-protein-low-carb diet to help build muscle and lose body fat. Many people claim this type of diet is great and helps them reach their fitness goals.

There are three essential nutrients necessary for good health. Removing any one from your diet for any length of time can lead to deficiency related health problems. That said, high-protein and moderate carb/fat diets are alright depending on what you mean by “moderate”. If is low enough to be deficient, you may actually be hurting your chances of staying healthy while you drop those unwanted pounds.

Here are some facts and opinions that might help you decide to try a high protein program:

1. There is a wide range of protein intake recommended by the Institute of Health’s Dietary Reference Intake. It goes anywhere from 10% to 35% of total calories. For example, if you are a normal healthy adult on a 1,800 calorie diet, you could safely consume anywhere from 10% of your calories (that’s 45 grams) to 35% (that’s 218 grams) of protein every day with no ill effects. But, get this. The recommended Daily Allowance of protein is 46 grams a day for women and 56 grams for men. That is slightly above 10% and is the minimum allowance recommended to prevent deficiency.

2. If we consider that 1800 calorie diet and 10% is coming from protein, then the other 90% has to be coming from fats and carbohydrates. It is no wonder it is so hard to lose weight and keep it off. But when you increase your protein, you should have a corresponding decrease in fats and carbohydrates. The key is to balance your diet and still get enough calories to stay healthy. So the question is, how do you make a diet that increases protein and maintains a balance of carbs and fats?

3. Experts recommend getting about 120 grams of protein a day for the greatest weight loss benefit. Most of us will struggle to eat that much protein and the increase should be done slowly over the course of several days or even a week. It would help to have a plan that details how we are going to up the protein and lower the carbs and fats.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *